6 Sure-Fire Signs You Need To Call A Residential Electrician In Sydney

Sydney is home to countless residential properties. Among other things, the city is known for its beautiful beaches, iconic landmarks, and bustling cityscape. But when it comes to electrical safety, Sydney homeowners need to be vigilant. It is because this Australian metropolitan experiences extreme weather conditions, such as thunderstorms, heat waves, and bushfires, resulting in severe electrical issues.

Thus, homeowners should stay on top of the warning signs to avoid dangerous and costly consequences. In this blog, we will explore some surefire signs that indicate you need to call a residential electrician in Sydney:

1. Flickering Lights

Flickering lights is a phenomenon where the lights dim or flicker unexpectedly. It is a telltale sign that something is wrong with your electrical system. There are several reasons why your lights might flicker, ranging from simple to more complex issues. For example, flickering may occur when you turn on a high-powered appliance, such as an air conditioner or washing machine. Similarly, if there is a problem with your power company’s electrical supply, your might face this issue.

While it might be tempting to ignore the issue and hope it goes away, the truth is that flickering lights could be a serious concern. So, if you are experiencing flickering lights in your home, call a residential electrician in Sydney to diagnose the problem and fix it promptly. If the issue has persisted for a long time, it might have gotten too complicated to handle by a regular electrician. In that case, you can rely on a level 2 electrician. The best emergency level 2 electrician Sydney has to offer will understand how to best handle this issue due to their advanced knowledge, skillset and training.

2. Tripping Circuit Breakers

Picture this: you are trying to whip up a quick breakfast in the morning. You decide to make some toast and pop a bag of popcorn in the microwave. Suddenly, your entire house goes dark, and you realize that your circuit breaker has tripped. Frustrating, right?

Circuit breakers are there to protect your electrical system from surges and overloads. Thus, it is normal for them to trip occasionally. However, if your circuit breakers are constantly tripping, you may have a more serious issue at hand.

An overloaded electrical system is one of the most common causes of frequent tripping. As our homes become increasingly reliant on technology, we use more appliances than ever. This means that our electrical systems need to work harder to keep up, resulting in more frequent tripping of circuit breakers.

Other potential reasons behind frequent tripping may include short circuits, ground faults, and faulty wiring. These issues can pose serious risks to your safety and the safety of your home. In fact, according to data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, faulty electrical wiring is responsible for more than 20% of all electrical fires in Australia.

3. Burning Smell

If you are living in Sydney, you know that the climate could be pretty intense. The hot and humid weather may force your electrical components to work overtime, producing more heat and potentially leading to that dreaded burning smell.

On top of that, the age and condition of your electrical system may also contribute to overheating and potential fire hazards. A burning smell coming from your electrical system is a sign that something is seriously wrong. And if you do not take action, you could be putting yourself and your property at risk.

But the burning question is, what should you do if you smell something burning? First, shut off the power to the affected area, if possible. Then, pick up the phone and call a licensed electrician to come and inspect your system. A licensed electrician will be able to identify the source of the burning smell and make any necessary repairs or replacements to ensure that your electrical system is safe and sound.

4. Electrical Shocks

Have you ever experienced an electrical shock when turning on a light switch or plugging in an appliance? It is not a pleasant experience, to say the least. But beyond the initial discomfort, electrical shocks can also signify a more serious electrical issue in your home.

While a mild shock may not seem like a big deal, it may pave the way for serious consequences. Electrical Safety Foundation International has linked electrical shocks with burns, muscle contractions, and heart failure in extreme cases. Apart from being dangerous to your health, it may also indicate a more serious issue with your home’s electrical system. A faulty wire, a damaged outlet,

or perhaps a rogue appliance is causing the trouble. Either way, you must contact an electrician to visit your house and fix the issue.

5. Hot Outlets

It is abnormal for an outlet to be hot to the touch. This is a definite sign of a problem with your home’s electrical system. Usually, hot outlets result from an outdated electrical system that is not designed to meet modern-day electrical demands. For example, if your home was built before the 1970s, it may not have the wiring capacity to handle the number of electrical appliances and devices that are commonly used today.

Arcing in electrical wiring is another possible source of overheated outlets. The term “electrical arcing” describes the process when electricity jumps from one wire to another, usually because of a loose connection or a damaged wire. In any case, the key takeaway is that you should not disregard hot outlets. They are a strong symptom of an underlying electrical problem that needs to be addressed to keep your home and family safe.

6. Skyrocketing Electricity Bills

As Aussies, we all know cranking up the A/C during those scorching hot summer months is necessary. Therefore, a spike in your bill during January or February is normal. But if you are seeing a consistent increase in your bill throughout the year, it is time to take action. Do not assume that your utility company is raising their rates without warning – it could be a sign that your electrical setup is faulty or inefficient.

You should not wait until you are left with a sky-high bill. Call a licensed electrician to inspect your setup and make any necessary repairs. They will be able to identify the root cause of the problem and help you get your bills back under control.


Electricity has become an essential aspect of our daily lives, powering up everything from our gadgets to the kitchen appliances we use daily. Without it, we would be lost in the dark ages! However, just like any other system, electrical issues can occur every now and then, and when they do, it is crucial to get them fixed by professionals as soon as possible from

Speak Your Mind